If you are learning or planning for on page optimization, then creating effective website URL will not only help your content to index easily, but improves your organic ranking, improves conversions and avoid duplicate content. So we need to follow the best practices for URL structure to create user friendly url and avoid duplicate content issues.
URL has same importance as Title and descriptions. For any SEO Audit URL structure will be consider at top priority, VJ seo marketing blog has explained very broadly about url structure and provided Guidelines for writing SEO friendly URL structures in their SEO audit tutorial,
Generally if you are planing for URL structures, I request you to avoid port numbers and query in URL. This also another example that you should avoid in planning URL structures, Specifically if you see the Query Parameters in Filename.
URL Structure Recommendation
Generally when I planning for URL structure I always follow
- Domain with partial match keywords
- Your directory must contain targeted root keywords
- In sub category you can target secondary keywords of your directory.
- Avoid Query parameters
- Short URL maximum 100 characters
- I redirect my http://www.example.com to http://example.com (www itself search engine consider a subdomain, and Sub domain has separate value)
- Now after SSL updates follow https
Well if you follow this structures I am sure you have done your 10% of SEO work, and step by step you can easily achieve the 70%+ on page optimization. If you have any good suggestions or doubts please left comment, I will surely try to find solutions for it and revert you back.